March 29, 2020, 6:13 pm
Elizabeth City, NC – Albemarle Regional Health Services Health Director R. Battle Betts, Jr., MPA, has received notification of the first lab confirmed case of COVID-19 in Currituck County. The individual is in isolation.
ARHS is following North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services guidelines on contact tracing of all individuals who may have had close contact with the case. Close contacts are defined as having direct contact with, or been within six feet for at least 10 minutes, of a case-patient while not wearing recommended personal protective equipment. Caregivers and household members of the case-patient are considered close contacts.
Public health interventions are and will continue to be an important tool to reduce transmission and prevent the spread of COVID-19. ARHS is asking our communities to practice preventive and safety measures that will help prevent the spread of the virus.
These precautions include:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
- Practice social distancing; avoid handshakes, hugs and other close contact.
If you are concerned that you are becoming ill, please track your symptoms and contact your healthcare provider by phone. This is important, as it will reduce the risk of exposure to others.
ARHS encourages the community to visit the following websites for the most credible information:
- Albemarle Regional Health Services – https://www.arhs-nc.org/
- North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services – https://www.ncdhhs.gov/
- Center for Disease Control – https://www.cdc.gov/